art is all around us. here i will share my personal experiences and passion for all things art! thanks for stopping by, feel free to share a post and check in again! xo

Thursday, January 20, 2011

observing o'keeffe


My 8th grade artists have been learning about Georgia O'Keeffe, my absolute favorite artist of all time.


Her work has so much to offer. She is full of wisdom with great quotes like one of my favorites, "Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time." This is so true and I had my busy students stop and take time to paint flowers.

In the style of O'Keeffe we blew up the flowers larger than life to make them obscure and abstract in a way but to focus on colors and shapes. O'Keeffe said "I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty." Which is true. No one can ignore the beauty of these flowers. I have had many compliments from viewers and passers by of the advanced level of these works of art.

We used watercolors and observed carefully real flowers. The watercolors are a little tricky but they got a handle of them quickly and learned to build and blend the colors and did a great job at that.


The petals began to overlap and become real almost as if were were looking at real flowers painted by Georgia O'Keeffe. I am so pleased with the work my students completed.

During our dreary winter months here in Warwick, NY it is nice to see the colors of flowers and with these flower paintings in full bloom it was almost as if we could smell the wonderful spring aromas right around the corner!


Be Well and Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!


    Georgia O Keeffe Paintings

    ReplyDelete