art is all around us. here i will share my personal experiences and passion for all things art! thanks for stopping by, feel free to share a post and check in again! xo

Saturday, September 17, 2011

samuel dorsky museum of art


The Dorsky Museum is a great place to visit and certainly one filled with nostalgia for me as SUNY New Paltz, my alma mater, houses the museum.



Today Brian and I took a trip to visit the wonderful town of New Paltz. New Paltz, much like Warwick, is a great small town filled with small shops, great restaurants and of course, GREAT ART!

Our first stop on the agenda was the Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art located within the SUNY New Paltz campus. It was so great for me to walk around and see all of the buildings... old and many new... that I learned to be the art teacher that I am today in. Wow!



I saw tons of campus tours happening and I felt as if it were just yesterday (really the 1990's) when I was on that same tour exploring and experiencing the beautiful New Paltz campus for the first time. Ahhh the memories of walking around campus with my fresh art supplies, fuzzy socks with Birkenstocks and smiling at every person I passed.



Upon entering one of my all time favorite buildings, Smiley Arts Building, I was greeted by a graphic and bold mural, just what I have come to expect from the many diverse students of SUNY New Paltz.

There were so many beautiful works on display in the museum and inside were wonderful students working and chatting it up with me, a New Paltz alum, about what the world is like once you graduate college, the art world of today and tomorrow, and just a plain love of art. I loved the enthusiasm and energy these young people brought to their jobs and so I shared my own experiences in New Paltz and beyond as a teaching artist.



Today was a beautiful fall day, a nice cozy sweater and a day of art was all I needed to make this day one of perfection!




Enjoy some of my favorite works on display now. You can click on the title of this post for more info on the Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art and plan your visit today while the leaves are turning! I just love New Paltz in the fall!

Be Well and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment