art is all around us. here i will share my personal experiences and passion for all things art! thanks for stopping by, feel free to share a post and check in again! xo

Thursday, November 17, 2011

portraits in pale gray

My 8th grade students just completed value study portraits. We looked at the work of Chuck Close and learned about the grid he uses to make successful portraits.
My students were really impressed and in awe of Close's work. They kept asking me, "Are these photographs or paintings?" I reassured them these were paintings done by a very skilled photorealist painter.I loved seeing their interested and awe struck faces when showing Close's work and the up close details of how detailed they really are.
One of my student's parents recently shared with me a great interview with Chuck Close on NPR and so I listened to it and it was rather interesting. I loved hearing about the evolution of his work. The most recent work is less detailed and more abstract. He said he is focusing on shapes rather than specific details and he said that was good as the subjects age, the portraits get less details. It was great! You can listen to this interview by clicking here.
I digress, but my students really enjoyed hearing about Chuck Close's struggle with his health and continuing to work while he is in a wheelchair. I love his story because it is one of courage and strength and really isn't that the story of "the artist?" "The artist" is a strong and courage being to put one's expressions out for all to see.
My partner at the Middle School, Rick Weber, also did this portrait project with his students and they enjoyed it as well. We just started an online gallery that we hope to soon be linked to our district webpage. For now, here is the link, http://wvmsartgallery.weebly.com/. Please check it out and let us know what you think!
In addition, you can find more photos of my student's portraits as always on my personal teacher webpage by clicking here.
As we head into the last few days before Thanksgiving I have to say that I have a lot to be thankful for and one thing at the top of my list is working in a job I love! I feel so fortunate every day that I get to share what I love with young people/artists.
Be Well and Enjoy!

1 comment: